Saturday, April 11, 2009

This is what it's all about...

I have made an earnest effort to teach my children that Easter isn't about bunnies and candy. Since Maya could talk she has known the reason we celebrate Easter. In the weeks before Easter we have Family Home Evening lessons based on Christ and his atonement and resurrection. In the past I would use pictures from the Gospel Art Kit and use them to teach Primary songs that focused on Christ and his atonement. We have done lessons on the symbols of Easter and their meanings. This year I decided to really focus on the sacrament prayers:
Moroni 4:3
O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.
Moroni 5:3
O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this water to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.
We hear these words every Sunday so I wanted the girls to understand better what it means when they partake of the sacrament. It was a good reminder for me too.
~
So tomorrow we will all get dressed up in our Easter best. We will go to church to worship, sing and be taught. We will host dinner for eight adults and ten children. We will eat, we will visit, we will have fun.
But we will not forget what we are celebrating.
Christ lived on this earth. He was sent by his father, God. He accepted his divine calling, to come to earth and atone and suffer for all mankind. He preached. He taught. He loved. He suffered. He died. He rose from his tomb and was resurrected. He still lives. He still loves.
This is not just a story. It really happened.
I am grateful for my knowledge of Christ and his gospel. I am so grateful that Jesus suffered and died for me, and that he broke the bands of death so that I can be with my family forever.
I am grateful that Christ is there for me everyday...the good days and especially the bad days. He is real, I know him and I love him.

5 comments:

Jean McKendrick said...

Thanks Jessica for your post! I hope you have a happy Easter.

just the five of us said...

Oh I am so glad that I am not the only parent who doesn't get into the bunnies and things. I have an easier time focussing on Christ at Easter than Christmas. Happy Easter to your family.

the wrath of khandrea said...

ah, good stuff. we don't do easter baskets or anything like unto it around here. i realize this presents some sort of dichotomy with the christmas holiday; but i can't be all scrooge.

thanks for an insightful post. i love that video clip.

Melissa-Mc said...

Isn't this the best talk by Elder Holland? Happy Easter!

Lauren in GA said...

That was a wonderful post, Jessica. I am overwhelmed with what the Savior has done for us. Thank you for this post.