Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mothers Intuition and Other Stuff

First of all...sorry I have been absent. I will explain later...
So last week Maya got a bug bite of some sort, actually she got two of them. I'm no expert but they looked like the run of the mill mosquito bites. After a few days one went away the other looked a little puffy and red. Two days after looking puffy and red I took her to my backyard neighbor, who happens to go to my church, and also happens to be a dermatologist. He said it looked like an infected bug bite and to watch it over the next 24 hours to see if it spread or if Maya got a fever. The next day it didn't look like it had spread but the bulge definitely felt bigger. Maya was complaining of the pain and I just didn't feel right about it. So I called our doctor friend and he got us in the next morning.
After two other doctors consulted they all thought it looked like an infected bite and thought that doing a biopsy was a bit much but they couldn't give me a true diagnosis without one. The last thing I wanted to do was a biopsy. I hate taking the kids to get their shots, and A was out of town so I had to be brave. I told doctor friend that we were leaving for Hawaii in three days and I needed to know what was going on with her leg.
He agreed that we should do the biopsy. Oh it was awful. I will spare you the details but I was sweating, feeling woozy and I was holding on to Maya just as tight as she was holding on to me! Thankfully she was on her belly so she couldn't feel what was going on but when they stuck her multiple times with the needle to numb her up she was as still as could be but was her huge tears were killing me. She was the most amazing patient.
So the doctor did a cookie cutter slice (about the size of a pencil eraser) and started squeezing and it was GROOOOSSSS. There was definitely an infection. He thought it was staph but sent it to the lab for further testing. I was dying, I couldn't believe it. I was so grateful that I took her in.
Well today I got a call from doctor friend telling me that he was wrong. It wasn't staph. Oh no...it was MRSA! Seriously! He said the only way to get rid of it is to drain it, which is what he already did. It is resistant to most antibiotics. Thankfully Maya is recovering fine and has no symptoms that MRSA is still in her body.
I am a huge believer in mother's intuition, but what I really think is that is the whisperings of the spirit. I pray everyday, as any good Christian mom would, to know how to keep my children safe from harm, accident or evil. That is part of my prayer every single day. I am so grateful that my prayers were heard and that I was able to protect Maya from the harmful effects of MRSA.
Say your prayers sisters....say your prayers and more importantly LISTEN when you receive a prompting.
Okay now on to the very, very short version of why I have been absent...
Spring soccer has officially begun
IMG_7240
I had a wedding dress that needed to be altered...
IMG_7223
...for this sweet girl...
IMG_7231
I had to say good bye to this sister...
Sister Bailey, she's on her way to Nauvoo to finish her mission.
IMG_7229

I also had to say good bye to this sister...
Amy has left me, but we are meeting up in Hawaii...YAY!
IMG_7097
We've had piano recitals...
IMG_7234

...and sweet Mari's big 8th birthday celebrations...
IMG_7243
IMG_7247
I was honored to speak at her baptism.
IMG_7239

This fabulous sister of mine has kept me busy with her kitchen reno take three...pictures will come someday.
IMG_7252
And this little crazy cocoa puff is keeping me EVER so busy!
IMG_7249
IMG_7099

My Mother-Daughter dinner with Maya was definitely a highlight. She made the whole dinner with her Activity Day group. It was delicious!
IMG_7265

I've also been busy with my dyslexia tutoring. I got to go here Susan Barton give a 3 hour seminar last week. It was amazing and so worth the time. I will do a post on that soon.
I've been busy sewing 16 dance costumes for the girl's dance classes. I am so done with that hobby for awhile.
Last but not least my marathon training has become a part time job. I am happy to report that I ran 20 miles today in 3 hours and 30 minutes. It was fabulous and I am so ready for my marathon!
Okay I'm done. Notice the time. I have to get on a plane in 2 hours.  I will be in Hawaii enjoying 6 days of sunshine, alone time with Aric, and fun times with the Sampson's. I will give a full report soon.
Mahalo!

10 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Whoa, you have been busy! You are truly, truly amazing.

Thank you for the wonderful example of listening to the Spirit. I have the same prayers for my kids...I hope I listen the way that I should. MRSA infections are really serious. Great job, Momma...and great job to Maya for being so brave.

Have so, so, so, so much fun on your trip! How wonderful!

I immediately noticed that Camden can get the door open, now. My heart always drops when I notice one of my children is big enough to do that.

Jean McKendrick said...

Wo, take a breath Jessica! Holy cow you've been busy!! So thankful for whisperings of the spirit. I am glad you got your little girl taken care of. I HATE shots too, I can't believe you could watch what they were doing to her. I cry when I take the kids in for shots (I have put Kaden's 4 year off a bit because he was just getting out of his cast as his b.day rolled around this year). I thought he'd had enough torture for the start of the year.
I want to see pictures of the kitchen!!!
Looks like a yummy mother/daughter dinner!

calibosmom said...

You are one busy bee. You are also an amazing example of faith and prayers. Have an amazing time in Hawaii. I can't wait to hear all about it. ENJOY!!!

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh Jessica! Absense excused! You were missed greatly though. And MRSA??? GAH!!! Glad you listened momma. Glad you listened.

Leah said...

I've decided it is normal not to go to bed the night before a big trip. There is just too much to do!!!! Stressing out, one of them.

I can't wait for your Hawaii post!!! My favorite place. Hike, hike, hike, and beach are my favorite things. And they are the free things!

the wrath of khandrea said...

have a great time! you deserve the break. make me jealous with pictures galore, please.

Rochelleht said...

Holy Schamoly! That's a lotta stuff!!! I'm so glad you got the leg taken care of. SO many times that has been me with all Ethan's issues over the years. YIKES! Thank heaven for the Spirit. Have fun in Hawaii!! SO gorgeous!!!

Christie said...

That is so scary! MRSA is awful stuff. So glad you listened to the promptings and intuition!

Sounds like you are one busy girl. Holy moly. That would make me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Since i read this post (but was too tired to comment, but definitely not too tired to be inspired) i have changed my prayers and have changed my frequency and sincerity. I had grown lax in my pleadings with my Heavenly Father. I am grateful again for your example of listening and following the Spirit, but more importantly, your example of preparation in motherhood. You were prepared to Hear and because of that, you heard. I'm so grateful. that could have been so scary. did that ramble make sense?

when you get back from your vacation (which you deserve and i hope you are having the most memorable time of your life) we are talking. save a date. love to you!

just the five of us said...

You truly are an inspiration to me every time I read your blog! I miss you, and wish we were a little closer in miles. Have a good time with your marathon.