Monday, March 19, 2012

Running Ramblings

Deciding to run a marathon is one thing, training for it is another...especially during the frigid temperatures that this lovely season brings. 


These are some things that keep me going during the long cold months of training: 


~ I invested in under armor and it has definitely made a huge difference. Not the most flattering but it keeps me warm.


~ I make sure that I have some pretty good company on those crazy long runs. (Don't let the sunshine fool you. It only came out for the three hours we we running.)


These are two of my running peeps during mile 13 on our 18.2 miler on Friday. 







We ran from Liberty Lake to Couer D'Alene. We stayed there and took 4 minute showers then off to get us some carbs! We each ordered our own pizza...





~ Good music is essential. At some point there is a point where it takes all mental capabilities to just keep going so conversations have to stop and music is necessary. These are some of my faves on my running playlist...


Alright - Kris Allen
Firework - Katy Perry
Mr. Brightside - Killers
Off with your head/Thriller - Glee Cast
Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Coldplay
Pretty Young Thing - Michael Jackson
Just Dance - Lady Gaga
This Town - OAR
We Found Love - Rhianna
Your Love is My Drug - Kesha

~ I'm really loving my training program this time around. My friends and I are doing the "Less is More" training.

Mon - Intervals 
Tues - Cross Train which is eliptical, core and weights for me
Wed - Run 5 - 10 miles depending on the week
Thurs - Cross Train eliptical, yoga, core and/or weights
Fri - Long run 10 - 20 miles depending on the week

I dread the intervals every week and it is my shortest workout! Sprinting is serious work.



~ I have changed my attitude about the long runs.


Running is all mental...it really doesn't take too long to get your body into the running groove. Once you have your lungs and legs built up it is all in your head. So I start thinking about my long run at the beginning of the week. I think about how good it's going to be. I think about my favorite parts of the trail. I think about how great it will feel when it's done. I only let myself think positive thoughts about it and so far it's totally helped me stay focused and enjoy those very long miles.


My marathon is May 19th. I am looking forward to it for so many reasons...packet pick up with my friends, the warmer weather, finally accomplishing my goal, losing the four pounds I always gain while training, but most of all, I love that I will be done with training! Until I decide on the next race I'm going to do...

6 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I am so proud of you and all of your beautiful friends. It really is amazing that you all get out there and do it.

You forgot to mention that you need the proper motivation to run...like being chased by a moose ;) ...

Cami said...

Love those long miles with you...now if I could get off the computer and get to your house to do some cross training today..I'd be doing good

Nurse Graham said...

I so wish our schedules would work so we could run together--especially on those long run days.

I'm impressed that you all took the time to shower before going to pizza. And I'm impressed that you could eat pizza after running that far. I usually have no appetite after running long so chocolate milk is my "go to" refueling source.

Rochelleht said...

YOU are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

calibosmom said...

I'm so excited for you! It's going to be hard. Really hard but you'll do it and its going to feel great!!!

Anonymous said...

I admire the dedication. Oh, I admire the dedication. I need to find my missing dedication...I think it's in a closet hiding under my motivation. Good job ladies! You rock.