Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Life Lessons Learned While Potty Training


Back story...I started potty training the second week in September. The girls had just started school and I decided to dedicate all my attention to it. Well the first two days pretty much sucked like I expected they would, we had some success but Camden pretty much decided he wanted to be in control of the situation. He totally knew what he was doing it was so frustrating!

Well my dear friend, Cami, who has the patience of Job, and loves C, and wanted him to live to see his birthday next month, decided to offer the service of all service and take him for two days to re-jump start our potty training. She worked so hard with him and it paid off. I took over on day three and it was still hairy for the next four days, but here we are a week later and my kid is in undies! We have only had two days accident free, but we have entered the Only-Diapers-At-Night phase of life...WHOO HOO! It truly is a miracle. One more experience that has strengthened my kids' testimony of prayer.



So here is what I learned while potty training...


1. Embrace the inevitable...there are times in life that you know that something hard is coming. You see it, you hear it, you feel it deep in your bones. You pretend it isn't going happen, you hope that if you just don't think about it or talk about it, it will just go away. But eventually you have to acknowledge that it is happening and you just have to face it head on.

2. Having high expectations is the fastest way to get disappointed...keep expectations low people.


3. Recognize when you need help, and accept it when it's offered...I hate realizing that I need help, even more I hate asking for help. But sometimes it is necessary to humble ourselves and accept the loving service when it is offered.

4. Accidents happen...things we don't expect or want to happen, will happen without our control. Getting mad just makes people sad and uncomfortable. Learn to go with the flow.


5. Let yourself not just enjoy the little moments but celebrate them...dancing and singing at the top of your lungs is a great way to make an ordinary day pretty awesome.

6. When you make a mess clean it up right away...u have to take responsibility for your mess and don't just do a half way job cleaning it up. Do a thorough, deep clean.



7. Acknowledge your successes...it's so easy to go through an entire day and feel like you have done nothing of real worth, but there are so many little triumphs everyday that are so easily overlooked.

8. Find what motivates you...we all lack motivation from time to time. It's important to find out what will push you and keep you moving forward. From exercise to scripture study, I need motivation. It changes depending on what is going on in my life. (Found out today that Aric and I are taking a trip to Hawaii next month so that will be motivating my exercise!)


9. Patience is a virtue worth developing...this will be a life long quest for me. For me being patient means I am giving up control over something. I like having control of my life and relationships. I don't like waiting for things. What I have learned is that being patient will always be hard for me, but when I can be it is so much better.

10. Don't ever give up!...It's so easy to throw in the towel and say "FORGET IT!" But you have to remember all the hard work you've done and the waste that it would be to let it all go. Just the idea of starting over should be enough to stay focused on the goal.


(One of C's prizes for going potty were these "super hero" wrist bands. Thank you Dollar Store for having such fantastic treasures!) 

I am beyond happy that my boy is potty trained. When Aric and I decided to adopt, one of the first things that went through my mind was "Oh Crap! I have to potty train another human!" To say I have been dreading this task is an understatement. But now it is done. It truly is a bittersweet moment. I am grateful that I won't have to do this again, but in the exact same moment there is a sadness realizing that I will never have a baby again...until C poops his pants and then I remember that it really is a good thing.

13 comments:

Lindsey said...

Nice to have that over with, huh? We just trained Kaylie too, and I kept kinda quiet about it because she was so easy! But she was DEFINITELY my easiest! The others, not so much. Abby, my first, was the worst. So glad it is over.. and so happy for you. And look at all of those life lessons.. :)

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Congrats to all of you! Time to celebrate!

Shirley said...

Love EVERY word of this post. My FAVORITE though is the very LAST sentence. Congrats to you and C!!!! Absolutely adorable!

♥Shally said...

I HATED POTTY TRAINING!!

It made me mad at my sweet babies. :)

So glad you are done!

Ash said...

Dude, you got yourself one fantastic pal in Cami. Congratulations on your survival and success.

Lauren in GA said...

Many, Many Congrats!!! Who knew I would feel so inspired from a post about potty training. These are great life lessons that apply to all kinds of life situations.

This post made me laugh out loud. When I read how Cami loves Camden and, "wanted him to live to see his birthday next month." I belly laughed.

Off of the subject...I love the way you have decorated Cam's room.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh...and the soundtrack of, "Oh, Happy Day." made me laugh, too. Oh, happy day when a child is potty trained.

calibosmom said...

Congrats to both of you! I love the Super Hero pictures of C-what a cutie!!! Just wait until you are teaching him to drive...now that's scary!

Melissa-Mc said...

Woo hoo!!!! Having potty trained 4 boys, most boys are NOT potty trained by their 3rd birthday, so that is a big deal.

Jessica said...

A. Those pictures are indescribably awesome.
B. Cami really truly deserves sainthood for doing that.

Jess said...

Awesome!!! Congrats to you Camden and sweet Cami!!!

Rochelleht said...

Holy freakin' cow! Could you have a better friend?!?! That is amazing!!! So glad that it is done. LOVE that.