Monday, July 23, 2012

Aric - Boston, Boston - Aric...The Official Meeting

One beautiful, perfectly sunny day at the end of March, Aric and I were sitting in Arizona chatting it up. We discussed the master bathroom suite remodel that we were in the middle of, we talked at length about the kids, we talked about our extended family and friends, we talked a lot about our rental property which was the reason we were down there to begin with, but mostly we were just enjoying the break from the stressful day to day life that we had become accustomed to now that he was in school and working full time. That weekend was the first time we had ever heard of PrepMD and it was the first time the thought ever crossed our minds that we could up and move to Boston. We mostly just laughed about it, because it would never happen.

This picture was taken five short weeks later as our friend Ryan dropped us off at the airport so Aric could start this new journey in Boston at PrepMD. (You know who your real friends are when you have a 6:00am departure time and you have to leave your house at 4:30am.) 

Look closely my friends...four of those five bags held all that Aric was going to live on for the next six weeks he even managed to pack a small flat screen tv!

We took this picture on the last leg of our trip to Boston. We had pulled an all nighter and we were so stinking tired!

My wonderful Aunt Carolyn picked us up at the airport. We hadn't seen each other in 14 years!!! But it was as if no time passed at all, she and her fiance Roscoe were gracious hosts.

The next morning we got up early because we had to get the keys to our new apartment. This was our first view of it...the outside. (We live on the 2nd floor)

And the inside...It is actually smaller than the first apartment we ever lived in.

One of the most annoying things about what we are doing is that we could only bring so much out with us which meant we had to leave so many things behind in storage. On top of that, we don't have the money to be buying stuff that we already have in storage! So when Aric went to the trash room on our floor and found this vacuum we were thrilled! It did need a good cleaning (bluuuuuugtch...that was me puking in my mouth because I'm the one that had to do it) but it works great so it was worth the nastyness.

Next up was furnishing our new digs. We had been selling stuff back home so we had somewhat of a budget. We hit Ikea first and loaded up Aunt Carolyn and Roscoe's car to the max! That is a KING sized mattress we scored for $120, a futon and a million other random things. I became a Craigslist junkie and we scored some other sweet goodies, like a table and four chairs held together with gorilla glue.

That first day we were busy acquiring things but the apt was still not in a good place to sleep in it so we stayed with AC and R again. This picture was taken early in the morning right before Aric's first experience in his new field of work. We walked to the T station and I made sure A got to the convention center (we had two train exchanges and a bus ride, that was a lot for a first timer) and then I went for an 8 mile run through the city. It was my last long run before the marathon. We definitely looked like the odd couple...

I love this picture! It's A's first subway ride ever...

This is me on my run. I got to run on part of the Boston Marathon route. So fun!

I passed these giant ships on my cool!

After our productive morning, Aunt Carolyn took us around the city. We took this picture outside of her house.

We started at the North end...the buildings...THE BUILDINGS! I cannot get enough of the amazing buildings. I love how old they are, I love the character, I love the colors, I cannot get enough of them!

We had to visit Mike's Pastry and get some goodies. The place is always crazy busy so when it's your turn you have to be ready with your order. 

We took our time looking before we got in line so we could be ready...

This place is famous for it's cannolis but the other pastries were killing me! I couldn't stray from the cannoli so that's what we got.

After Mike's we went to Paul Revere's house.

Aunt Carolyn is the best tour guide ever!

Next up...Fanuiel Hall. Look how cool this street is!

The State House

I couldn't wait to get the cemetery. I have told Aric about how amazing the cemeteries were forever and now I got to show him.

An introduction to Boston would not be complete without a visit to the Boston Common to see the swan boats.

and the statue of George.

This is my favorite statue. I have always loved it. 

I could look at it for hours but it's too dang close to street.

Moving on to Beacon Hill...Amazing. 

The doors. The windows. The wrought iron....LOVE.

We found a lovely little bakery on Charles Street that served the yummiest almond croissants. 

We mosied on over to Newbury Street to "Ohh and Ahh" over the shops.

Some of the rooftops in the city...

And our last stop was Copley Square. My Copley. The time I spent there is precious to me and I finally got to share that special spot with Aric.

After a fun tour of the city Aric took a little cat nap before dinner.

It was so great to reunite with my cousins Tom and Neto after 14 years!

There were so many highlights on this trip but my perfect trip to the Red Sox game deserves its own post. So here is a little preview...

Another highlight was seeing my Tio Oscar. We had a nice dinner together at Quincy Market.

Mother's Day happened while we were there. It was not a highlight. It was sad, I cried and cried. Notice my Mother's Day brunch. We didn't have plates yet so a cutting board had to do.

We accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. I got through it pretending that we were on vacation and that I wasn't leaving Aric behind. The day came that I had to accept reality. It was the beginning of our new life, our new journey and now we had to be separated. Saying goodbye was hard.

I am so glad we got to be together that week before the crazy really began. We got to do some fun stuff and enjoy a little calm before another storm. Thank heavens those six weeks are over and I will never have to live them again. Things aren't easy now but at least we all get to be together. 

And that does it for Aric meeting Boston. I'm almost caught up on my back posting so I can start posting some of the good stuff that's going on right now. Yay.


calibosmom said...

YEAH!!! I love it! You're such a good girl for posting. I need to get back on the ball. Love the pictures!

Nurse Graham said...

That was one crazy, busy week! I'm looking forward to hearing about all of the fun things you filled your summer with.

Rochelleht said...

How fun, though! I LOVE Boston. We are going to Maine through Boston in Sept, and I'm excited to be there again.

Separations are so hard, but man, do they make you stronger! You guys are such rock stars. Hard hard stuff, but it's all going to end up being GREAT!

I also have to say that you are a great mom. In 2011, when I was in Germany on Mother's Day, I honestly have to say that I wasn't even sad. How horrible is that!? We were leaving the next day to go home, and I swear I couldn't stayed another week. Yep, Mother of the Year...

Rochelleht said...

*could've. NOT couldn't.

See, bad mom...

♥Shally said...

Such a great adventure!! I am so happy for you guys and can't wait to read more. :)

Melissa-Mc said...

Welcome to Boston! You will be blessed for doing what you feel led to do even though it was really hard.

Lauren in GA said...

You look so sad in that last picture. Aw. It just shows how much you love your Aric and how much you were gonna miss him.

I am totally impressed that Aric got a flat screen in the suitcases. I agree...Ryan R. is a great friend to leave at 4:30a.m. ☺

I totally laughed at the, "puking in my mouth" sound. You are funny.

Your apartment is super cute on the outside. I bet you are having some major family togetherness right now, huh? Close quarters insures that :)

That is really neat that you have family there.