Thursday, July 3, 2008

Doing Something Right

We try to read scriptures together every morning before we start our day. I call it family scripture time. It is not always easy but it is so worth it. We are reading out of the Book of Mormon as a family right now. We are reading in Jacob about Zenos' allegory of the olive tree. I was very tempted to just skip over these chapters because it's hard enough for Aric and I to decipher, let alone explain it to our kids.

Well I decided to stick to it so we read the first few verses and I explained how the vineyard, the olive tree, the branches and the Lord of the vineyard were are symbols....blah blah blah blah blah. Maya surprisingly was following. Then after a few minutes Eden yells "Mom we are the olives!" Aric and I look at each other trying not to totally laugh at her. Then she adds "See I am so smart!"


(Eden and her olives)

There is a reason I don't call it family scripture "study", because 99% of the time we are just trying to get Eden to sit still and not fall apart when she can't find her special scriptures. There is definitely not alot of "studying" involved. She also has major issues with the tone in which we tell her what to read. It has to be quiet so that she can seem to be reading all by herself.

Maya is always great at reading and participating in the discussion. I am so amazed at how well she can read those big words. I know that no matter how much the girls actually get out of it, the spirit that it brings makes it worth the effort.

Maya is also reading the New Testament on her own in preparation for her upcoming baptism. It makes my heart melt when I see her read and then share what she has learned. I can see her testimony of Jesus growing because she makes the effort all on her own to read scriptures.

With all the things I do wrong everyday, it feels good to know as a family, we are doing something right.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

We have TOTALLY abandon (ok not totally) scripture time since the move. Too much craziness and we have replaced it with a family swim after dinner. I hope to get back in the habit when school starts (JULY 28TH!) Until then... I think we are on a haitus. Morning huh? If my husband were a morning person, we might could do that. . . We are planning on getting Abby some scriptures for her 7th birthday so she can read them before she is 8. We'll cross our fingers that works! :)

calibosmom said...

Way to go mama! We need to get back on that train! Happy 4th!

Alison said...

Oh, I understand. We read scriptures every night to Jack before bed...okay, he is one, but for me there is no time like the present to start a good habit :) That way when my kids are older, it will just be "normal" to read the scriptures (at least that is my goal). Thanks for re-affirming my commitment!

Melissa-Mc said...

Way to go. Sometimes we are blessed for simply trying. The children get so much more out of it than we realize.

Meghann said...

We've recently started reading from the REAL scriptures, (in addition to the kid/cartoon scriptures). It is such a trial getting Owen & Lucy to sit still for one minutes. Your post has encouraged me to persevere!
(Maya's bedspread is too cute, TJMAX?!?)

mahina said...

we are doing better than we have in a long time with our scripture reading. so much so that the girls ask every night to read scriptures before bed. lala gets very distracted, but now that nani can read she reads along with us, and i agree that those words are big for our little girls, but she manages pretty well!

its all about the spirit and the habit at this age! way to go!

Erin said...

WTG! What a great post. Isn't it amazing how much just putting forth the effort to do family scripture study (ha! on the "study" part) bring blessings? Our family scripture time is not so much a study as it is an effort to get everyone to sit still and not get mad at someone else for talking over them etc. etc. but it still makes such a difference in the spirit in our home. :)

Jessica said...

I have the funnest way to read the Allegory of the Olive Tree. Ask me about it, sometime.

And Maya looks like Aric in that last picture. Except she's reading her scriptures.

Lauren in GA said...

Great Job! I know what you mean...sometimes I wonder if anyone is even listening when we read our sciptures...

Our youngest Brian can't read, yet. The other night during scripture study he protested, "I want to do it myself!!" It didn't go to well when Mike said, "But, you can't read it..." (We usually say a few of the words at a time and he repeats) He was highly offended that night that he needed help.